An Overhaul of Farr Beyond - Part 2

Windscreen Removal & Refitting

A few tips worth mentioning here.

It took two of us to remove and refit. First we removed all the screws, then started at the stern end of the screen using a boning knife cutting through equal top/bottom portions of screen sealer while someone gently held the screen away from the fibreglass. It really was stuck on and it was also brittle due to its age. It took ages to clean off the screen sealer with thinners which did not affect the fibreglass or screen surface.

When refitting the screen I used a 5x2 mm self adhesive rubber foam strip to prevent excess sealer being squeezing through to the new interior lining of the cabin. This was positioned around each individual exterior window edge.

The windscreen sealer used was Sikaflex 295 UV from Sika NZ. The applicator tip fitted to the Sikaflex cartridge has a vee shape molded into the end of it. This allows an even 5mm spread of sealer[ only needs to be about 3 mm] when applied by butting the applicator tip onto the fiberglass at a 90 degree angle.

I had to use slightly longer stainless steel screws to get the screen to pull down tight onto the fibreglass. Tighten the screws up evenly or the windscreen holes may fracture due to its brittleness.

The rubber foam strip and applicator tip were obtained from Smith & Smiths Glass.

Rotten Plywood Shelving / Bracing, port & starboard sides

These shelves are accessed from the stern end of the cock pit, port/starboard sides and also via the cabin. They serve as external/internal storage areas and also bracing for the cock pit.There is a divider half way down them which prevents water flowing into the cabin via the cock pit. The x2 water drainage holes of these external storage areas are small and block up easily so I enlarged them to 12mm diameter.

I found that the plywood in the external storage areas had significant rot, I removed some of the rotten plywood down to about 10mm and decided to stop at this depth.

I removed all of the paint from off the top of the external plywood , filled up the cavities that I had created by removing the rotten ply with chop strand fibreglass and allowed it to set. Next I mixed up some resin /harder and poured this over the rotten plywood, giving it time to soak into the plywood.

After measuring up the external storage area I cut and fitted x3 layers of thick chop strand fibreglass allowing 30 mm extra to extend up the sides and ends of the external storage area to provide strength and seal off any opportunity for water to access the plywood again.I soaked the chop strand first on a board and then fitted each layer separately into position, messy job.

After this had dried I then mixed up some resin colour/harder and applied it over the top of the chop strand fibreglass. With the above accomplished I now have water tight external storage compartments along with added rigidity for cock pit sideways movement.

I have heard of cockpits cracking and this rotten plywood maybe part of the problem by allowing excess movement. I know of several Farr 6000s affected with this plywood rot and it should be addressed to prevent future problems arising. I also added a rimu wooden molding to the external storage area opening as the photo shows purely for aesthetics.